Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What is Saving Faith?

Most of the world holds the misconception that "salvation" or "eternal life" is something that one must earn or be worthy of.
Christianity ( as understood by most who call themselves Christians ) teaches that we are not capable of "saving ourselves" or "earning" eternal life, and hold that one is "saved" by grace ( unmerited favor ) through faith ( believe, trust, reply upon ) in the Lord Jesus Christ. This salvation or eternal life is a Gift ( Ephesians 2:8, 9; John 4:10; Rev 22:17 ) and not based on works or merit or committing one's life.

However, the definition of "faith" or what it means to "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved" ( Acts 16:31 ) is a much more complex issue.

Without getting into all the "variations", I'd like to discuss the more narrow topic of:

Does one need to "make" Jesus Lord of their life "to be saved"?
Which would mean not only relying upon Him to be one's savior, but that one promises, or commits to a change in behavior and future actions.
And therefore would live and act differently afterward ( as a clear sign they had "saving faith" in the first place ).
OR
Is "saving faith" a matter of trusting or replying upon who Jesus Christ is ( the Son of God ) and what He did ( suffered and died and rose again ) for each one as a payment for their sins. And understanding that no person is "worthy" due to our sin, and that "whosoever" believes in Him will have ( has ) everlasting life ( John 3:16, 5:24,6:47, etc ). And choosing to follow ( be a disciple ) of Christ is not a "requirement", or the same "faith" that one has when "receiving" Christ as one's savior ( source of eternal life and forgiveness ), but is a separate "act" that one would make after "counting the cost".

Whole books have been written on this subject, so I will do my best to keep this short and to the point.

* I think my point, that trusting in Christ as one's savior, is not the same thing as trusting in Christ as His disciple ( follower ) , or choosing to be His obedient child.

Choosing to follow Christ after one receives eternal life ( and becomes a child of God ), is something that requires a lot of work, and a continual day by day, and moment by moment "faith" for divine direction and the power to choose what is best for others and not always service one's selfish desires.

My personal experience involved me doing both at the same time, but clearly understanding that choosing to follow Christ, had no part in my receiving the Gift of Eternal Life ( and the forgiveness of my sins ... Acts 10:43 ). I trusted in the name of Jesus ( God is Salvation ) and was born again. No prayer, baptism, aisle walking, just simple trust in the clear teaching of the Word of God ( the power of salvation... Romans 1:16, 10:17 ).

But I also understood that this same God loved me and wanted me to have a relationship with Him ( John 17:3 ). And I became a learner and then I began teaching what I had learned from studying His word to others ( evangelizing, spreading the Word, making new disciples ).

But also, I learned that just because one is saved, this does not keep one from sinning. And I found that I had to choose each day to walk according to the Spirit and not the Flesh ( Eph. 5:13-18 ). I found following Christ required daily reading of the Word, and Prayer, and Fellowship with other disciples, and using what I had been given to share with others. And once I stopped doing these things, the desires of the flesh would become strong, and my actions would follow.
I walked well ( with minor stumbles ) for the first 3 1/2 years of my Christian life, and then I left my local church, and moved to another city. And although I attempted to keep up with my study, prayer, fellowship, and sharing, as time went by, I slowly did less of the "right things" and started doing the "wrong things". To make a long story short ( and to get to the point I want to make ), I must confess that for many years of my Christian life, I walked in the ways of the World. I did things that were exceedingly sinful, selfish, and dishonorable. I turned my back on God ( yet He remained faithful... II Tim. 2:13 )
My point being, just because a person has trusted in Christ ( and I surely did with my whole heart and mind at the age of 16 ), it does not mean you can tell by how they behave as to whether they are saved. A believer ( child of God ) is capable of being just as wicked as an unsaved person. Having the Holy Spirit does not prevent you from bad behavior ( I wish it did ).

Just to set the record straight, while still struggling with sin in my life, it is not "ruling" my life, as I yield myself daily to the Lord, study, praying more than ever, fellowshipping, and sharing with others. I liked to do more, and time has a way of getting used up with all the responsibilities of day to day life, but the effort to fight the good fight is worth it. Walking in the ways of the world brought much pain and heartache. And walking with the Lord brings hope, and peace that can not be found anywhere else. And eternal rewards ( I Cor. 3:10-15 and II Tim. 2:10-12 )

If you are not clear on whether "believing" is a simple trust in what Christ has done, or whether some type of "commitment" ( and automatic transformation in a persons life ) is involved to receive eternal life, I'd suggest getting a book on the subject by one of these author's.

My personal favorite's are those written by Zane C. Hodges

Other authors include L. S. Chafer, Harry Ironside, Lance Latham, J. Dwight Pentecost,Charles Ryrie, Miles J. Stanford, Warren W. Wiersbe,Charles Stanley, Tony Evans, Ernest Pickering, Curtis Hutson, Bruce Wilkinson, Erwin Lutzer and William Newell

I have heard and read "the other side" of this controversy. I've discussed it with many.
And the title of John MacArthur's book, "The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is Authentic Faith?", or the Revised version title,"What does Jesus mean when He says Follow Me, The Gospel According to Jesus", shows that this is a matter of taking "following" and "discilpeship" and ADDING them to the Gospel of Grace ( and NOT OF YOURSELF ). And I think the reason people don't want ( or have a hard time ) understanding your life / actions have NOTHING to do with receiving the GIFT ( not a gift, if Lordship is required ), is the same thing that makes some people cling to the idea that salvation / heaven is only obtained by leading a good life ( being Better than those "bad" sinners ). It's human Pride.
Children have no problem accepting a GIFT with "no strings" attached.
Adults tend to feel that "you don't get something for nothing" and they must be "worthy" of the gift.
It's this "mind set" that causes people to look at the Bible, and draw a different conclusion.
The "Gospel" is foolishness to most. They just can't understand how "bad" people can be saved. Or that "nothing" is required.
And the argument that a "saved" person's life will show it because they have the Holy Spirit inside, and therefore their life must change for the better, is short sighted.
If the Holy Spirit was the "force" for change, then EVERY CHRISTIAN would be A SAINT!
And there would be NO REASON for Paul ( and others ) to be CONSTANTLY Exhorting us to fight against the sin nature we still all have.
Just sit back and let the Holy Spirit transform your thoughts, heart, and actions.... He is God after all... who could resist..
See how this "logic" falls a part in light of reality ( not to mention scripture on the subject of "living for Christ".. it's hard work...).
It's sad that most "Christians" who think your life has to show your true saving faith, live lifes that are so far from the "sold out", 100% devotion that Jesus talks about, if one is to be a "follower" or "disciple". It makes me think of Jesus' words to the Lacodocian church.
I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So because thou art lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spew thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art the wretched one and miserable and poor and blind and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold refined by fire, that thou mayest become rich; and white garments, that thou mayest clothe thyself, and that the shame of thy nakedness be not made manifest; and eyesalve to anoint thine eyes, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I reprove and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.(Revelation 3:15-19 ASV)

Definition of Faith, as revealed in Scripture:
He ( Abraham ) did not stagger at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully persuaded that what God had promised, He was also able to perform. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. Now it was not written for him alone that it was imputed to him, but for us also to whom it is to be imputed, to the ones believing on Him who has raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; who was delivered because of our offenses and was raised for our justification.
(Romans 4:20-25 MKJV)

And only later in life, when Abraham was willing to kill his own son at God's command, do we see that his obedience ( acting on his believe that God knows best, and that God had the power to raise Isaac from the dead ... as Isaac was promised to be the one through whom Abraham would be the father of many nations ), that we see his "actions" result in being called "the friend of God" ( James 2:23 ). Note, James is written to believers ( already saved, children of God ) and not written to explain how a person becomes born again. This passage in James 2 and a few others, are verses that entire books have been written about, and I will go into these "difficult" passages in future articles.
So, getting back to the clear message:
For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.
(Ephesians 2:8-10 MKJV)
Note, verse 10 states that we "should", not that we necessarily "would" walk in good works. Good works are strongly "encouraged", but for blessings and rewards, and NEVER as a condition of receiving the GIFT of eternal life.
And it is a false assumption to think ( or teach ) that becoming a child of God ( by faith ) means you are automatically going to "bear good fruit". It is only those who "abide" in Christ, as they "fight the good fight" each day, that will be transformed "by the renewing" of their minds.
I beseech you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, pleasing to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, in order to prove by you what is that good and pleasing and perfect will of God.
(Romans 12:1-2 MKJV)

For additional information on this and related topics, I'd recommend this article,
Spiritual Assurance

No comments: