Sunday, April 6, 2008

Quality, Not Quantity - Frequency, Not Duration

When I was about 10 years old, the Gideon's gave out New Testaments to the 5th graders at the public elementary school I attended.
One of the first passages of scripture to make an impression on me was what Jesus said just before what is now known as "The Lord's Prayer", or "Our Father".
Jesus says in Matthew 6:7-8
 "And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him."
 
* This is what I call Quality, and Not Quantity.
Or another way;
It's what you say to God, not how many times or how many words you use that matters.
 
And later as a young Christian I read where we are to "pray without ceasing". Does this mean my every thought and every word all day long is to be a prayer? It is more like keeping the "channel" tuned to God. That "in all things" and "at all times", we are to be communicating and relating to an Omni-present ( "trans-dimensional" ) loving Creator????
 
* This is what I call Frequency, and Not Duration.
Or another way;
It's not how Long you pray, but how often ( frequently, all the time, about everything, big or small ).
 

No comments: